CALIFORNIA DMV PERMIT REQUIREMENTS:
- Be at least 15 ½ years of age.
- Completed Driver Education and present the completion certificate DL 400C.
- Complete the DMV application form (DL44) signed by parents or guardians.
- Present an acceptable birth date or legal presence document.
Birth date verification and legal presence requirements: If born in the US a Birth Certificate is required.
(only the original or a certified copy is acceptable) If this isn’t the case then a legal presence document is required. DMVs list of acceptable documents.
Additional new requirement 2016 – California Residency Requirement for New Driver License (DL) and Identification Card (ID) Applicants. DMVs list of documents acceptable as proof of California residency.
- Present proof of your social security number.
- Pay the DMV the required application fee.
- Pass an eye exam.
- Give your thumb print.
- Have your picture taken.
- Pass your written test.